Sheffield Wednesday v Posh

Sheffield Wednesday reached the final of the play-offs after a crazy night at Hillsborough with Posh eventually beaten on spot-kicks.

Peterborough United suffered heartbreak in the Sky Bet League One play-off semi-finals as Sheffield Wednesday staged a miraculous comeback at Hillsborough, scoring four goals – the last of which deep into stoppage time to send the tie into extra-time with the Owls eventually successful on spot-kicks.

Liam Palmer was cautioned inside the opening six minutes for a deliberate handball by referee David Webb as Ephron Mason-Clark looked to advance. The home side got the goal they wanted on eight minutes as Joe Ward was penalised for a foul in the box and Michael SMITH coolly dispatched the spot-kick into the corner.

Hector Kyprianou was cautioned for a foul on 16 minutes and from the resulting free-kick, Smith looped a header over the crossbar. Posh created a chance of their own moments later as Taylor picked out Poku, he sold the defender with a neat ball roll, but his right-foot shot was repelled by the legs of Dawson.

Mason-Clark saw a low effort from 20-yards kept out by Dawson moments later after a swift counter-attack, which was led by the former Barnet man. The hosts doubled the lead on 25 minutes as a low cross from Paterson was turned in from close-range by Lee GREGORY.

Mason-Clark was again denied by Paterson after a good pass from Taylor on 32 minutes, the keeper flying to his right to get a strong hand on the effort. Ward fired wide of the target as the first half entered four minutes of added time.

Darren Ferguson made a double change at the break with Dan Butler and Nathan Thompson replacing Burrows and Ward. Bannan was cautioned for a foul on Poku within a minute of the second half getting underway.

Smith powered a header inches wide from a Bannan corner kick on 49 minutes as the Owls came close to a third goal. Will Norris produced a stupendous fingertip save to keep out an acrobatic overhead kick by Gregory on 51 minutes, a stunning stop from the on-loan Burnley shot-stopper.

Norris produced another fine stop to keep out Gregory at the back post on the hour mark as the Owls got an overload from a deep cross. The Owls made it 3-1 on 71 minutes as Reece JAMES got in behind and toe-poked the ball through the legs of Norris. Butler was then cautioned for kicking the ball away.

Ihiekwe was denied by Norris on 78 minutes after Posh again failed to deal with a Bannan corner kick. Taylor was cautioned for a foul as Will Vaulks was introduced into the fray. Six minutes of added time was indicated by the fourth official. Right at the death, the home side got the goal they needed to force extra time as the ball was squeezed in from close-range after Smith’s knock back across goal.

Flint saw a clever back heel held by Norris two minutes into extra time as the Owls continued to press, backed by their incredibly noisy supporters. Ihiekwe was cautioned for a high boot on Jones on 98 minutes by the touchline.

On 104 minutes, Posh got their noses back in front in the tie as a free-kick from Dan Butler struck the back of Lee Gregory and looped into the back of the net.  Smith headed wide from a Hunt delivery on 114 minutes as the Owls came close to getting another.

The tie went to spot-kicks and ultimately it was the Owls that prevailed as they scored all of their penalties with Dan Butler the unfortunate man to miss from 12-yards with his kick striking the crossbar.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Palmer, Iorfa (sub Flint 90min), Gregory (sub Hunt 107min), Bannan, Windass, Paterson, Johnson (sub Brown 101min), Ihiekwe, Smith, James (sub Vaulks 88min). Unused subs: Stockdale, Adeniran, Bakinson.

Posh: Norris, Burrows (sub Butler 46min), Kent, Edwards, Ward (sub Thompson 46min), Taylor, Kyprianou (sub Jones 93min), Norburn, Poku (sub Knight 79min), Mason-Clark (sub Tshimanga 120min), Clarke-Harris. Unused subs: Blackmore, B. Thompson, Jones.

Half-time: Sheffield Wednesday 2-0 Peterborough United
Full-time: Sheffield Wednesday 4-0 Peterborough United (Sheffield Wednesday won 5-3 on penalties)
Attendance: 31,835
Referee: David Webb