Posh v Charlton Athletic

Hector Kyprianou scored the winner as Posh beat Charlton Athletic 1-0 to make it three wins from three in the opening week.

Peterborough United followed up the opening day success at Reading with another 1-0 victory, this time over Charlton Athletic as Hector Kyprianou scored a stylish winner for Darren Ferguson’s men at the Weston Homes Stadium.

George Dobson was cautioned inside the opening ten minutes for a late lunge on Archie Collins after a competitive start to proceedings in PE2. Ricky-Jade Jones couldn’t keep a header down at the back post from an in-swinging Harrison Burrows cross on the quarter hour mark as Posh carved out the first half-chance.

On 19 minutes, Posh came close to the breakthrough as a well-worked corner kick routine saw Joel Randall deliver a superb cross onto the head of Peter Kioso, but he couldn’t direct his header on target. May was cautioned for kicking the ball away on 24 minutes after a poor pass out of defence from the visitors.

Collins became the first Posh player to go into the book as the referee spotted a foul in the centre circle by the former Exeter City man. Jack Payne was next into the book literally 30 seconds later for a trip on Randall.

Poku was superbly denied by Maynard-Brewer on 27 minutes as the former Colchester United man cut inside onto his left-foot and let fly from distance. Moments later he fired wide of the near post after another clever Posh set-piece.

Jones was cautioned for a terrible lunge on Jones on the half hour mark right in front of the dugout as the game threatened to spill over. Burrows also went into the book for a foul by the touchline as did Darren Ferguson for alleged dissent.

Crichlow headed wide from a Burrows cross moments later as a game of football broke out amongst the chaos of the official dishing out the cards. Bilokapic was called upon to make his first save on 37 minutes, beating away a near post header by Camara.

On the stroke of half-time, Posh got themselves in the lead and it was a wonderful team move, Poku to Randall and his pass picked out KYPRIANOU who fired low into the bottom corner. Alfie May fired into the side-netting moments into the second half as the Addicks made a fast start to the second period.

Clarke-Harris whistled a shot just past the upright on 49 minutes after good work down the left from Burrows as the second half began in lively fashion at both ends. Randall was cautioned for a trip on 51 minutes, the ninth individual to receive a caution in the game to date.

Camara headed wide from a deep centre as the visitors came close to a leveller three minutes before the hour mark. Kioso headed wide at the back post on 69 minutes before Jeando Fuchs replaced Jones in a first switch.

Blackett-Taylor was inches away from finding the back of the net on 72 minutes after cutting inside onto his right-foot, but he rolled his effort wide of the far post. Bilokapic produced a fine stop with his legs to keep out May on 75 minutes after he drifted into some space in the penalty area.

Clarke-Harris fired wide from 20-yards after good work from Poku before Darren Ferguson made a second change with Josh Knight on for Randall. Clarke-Harris was cautioned for a foul before Posh introduced three substitutions.

Clarke-Harris fired a free-kick wide of the target via a deflection on 88 minutes after a handball by Ness. Dean Holden was cautioned for dissent as the game moved into six minutes of added time. In stoppage time, Clarke-Harris struck the post from range before Maynard-Brewer smothered at the feet of Tshimanga after he took a heavy touch.

Posh: Bilokapic, Burrows (Sub Tomlinson 84min), Crichlow, Edwards, Kioso, Kyprianou, Collins, Randall (sub Knight 76min), Clarke-Harris, Poku (sub Tshimanga 84min), Jones (sub Fuchs 70min, sub De Havilland 84min)). Unused subs: Blackmore, Ajiboye.

Charlton Athletic: Maynard-Brewer, Jones, Thomas (sub Edun 69min), Dobson, Ness, Camara, May, Payne (sub Kirk 82min), Blackett-Taylor, Asiimwe, Anderson (sub Kanu 82min) . Unused subs: Hector, McGrandles, Isted, Mitchell.

Half-time: Peterborough United 1-0 Charlton Athletic
Full-time: Peterborough United 1-0 Charlton Athletic
Attendance: 9,100 (1,904 Charlton fans)
Referee: Lee Swabey