Posh record first ever victory at Wigan Athletic with 1-0 success at the DW Stadium.

Peterborough United secured all three points and a fourth successive Sky Bet League One victory as a Jonson Clarke-Harris strike in the first half secured a 1-0 victory over John Sheridan’s Wigan Athletic.

The experienced Kal Naismith had the first effort of the contest, his left-foot curler was pushed around the post by goalkeeper Christy Pym for the game’s first corner kick, which ultimately came to nothing. Defender Dan Butler was cautioned by Ross Joyce on six minutes for what Wigan perceived to be quite a high challenge on Naismith.

Posh perhaps should have made it 1-0 on 13 minutes after wonderful skill from Dembele saw him burst into the box, but his deflected cross was side-footed wide by Joe Ward when well placed in the penalty area.

Dembele then saw a low strike from 25-yards well held by Jones after Thompson had won the ball high up the pitch for Darren Ferguson’s men. On 27 minutes, Posh opened the scoring, it was a move that was patient in it’s build-up but when Dan Butler floated a cross into the box, Jonson CLARKE-HARRIS took it on his chest and volleyed past Jones for his third goal for the club.

Posh made a change on 35 minutes with Niall Mason replacing Butler who had been penalised for several indiscretions after his early booking. Skipper Beevers powered a header over from a Ward corner kick moments later.

Brown fired wide on the stroke of half-time before referee Ross Joyce did bring an end to the first half at the DW Stadium. Taylor saw a low drive from 25-yards well gathered by Jones after good work from Clarke-Harris and Szmodics in the build-up.

Reece Brown was denied by a smart reflex stop from Jones just before the hour with Szmodics follow-up deflected over the top. Massey was yellow carded for a tug back on Dembele on 65 minutes as Posh broke at pace.

Pym did well to beat away a snap-shot from Evans on 66 minutes before there was a stoppage in play as Ward received treatment following a heavy challenge. Clarke-Harris fired a free-kick over the crossbar on 74 minutes after Kent was upended.

As the game ticked into four minutes of added time, the home side came desperately close to a leveller as a Naismith effort eluded everyone and clipped the outside of the post. Clarke-Harris was denied deep in stoppage time as a piledriver was shovelled clear by the keeper before the referee brought an end to the contest as Posh made it four wins in a row and three clean sheets in a row.

Wigan: Jones, Tilt, Johnson, Naismith, Evans, Keane (sub Merrie 59min), Palmer (sub Aasgaard 87min), Garner (sub Crankshaw 80min), Massey, Solomon-Otobor, James. Unused subs: Evans, Perry, Long, Robinson.

Posh: Pym, Butler (sub Mason 35min), Thompson, Kent, Ward, Beevers, Taylor, Brown, Szmodics, Dembele (sub Broom 81min), Clarke-Harris. Unused subs: Gyollai, Eisa, Hamilton, Clarke, Reed.

Half-time: Wigan Athletic 0-1 Peterborough United
Full-time: Wigan Athletic 0-1 Peterborough United