Marcus Maddison scored twice as Peterborough United come from behind to clinch three points.

Peterborough United came from behind to claim their first three points of the Sky Bet League One campaign as Marcus Maddison took his goal tally to three for the season with two long-range strikes.

Maddison's first, less than 60 seconds after the visitors had opened the scoring, is open to interpretation in terms of whether it was meant, but his second from the edge of the box was well struck into the corner.

Conor Washington stabbed a glorious cross from Ntlhe wide of the target on eight minutes while Macauley Bonne glanced a header wide at the other end after a well drifted centre from the right.

A snap-shot from Harry Anderson flew over the crossbar on 19 minutes after a patient build up from the boys in blue.

Ben Alnwick made a routine stop to deny a low effort from George Moncur on 22 minutes while Washington volleyed wide less than 60 seconds later.

The visitors opened the scoring just before the half hour mark as Macauley BONNE fired home from close-range following a low cross from Brindley.

The lead did not last long though as within 30 seconds, Posh were level and it was a truly stunning goal from Marcus MADDISON who curled home a spectacular strike from a ludicrous angle past the despairing dive of Parish.

On 33 minutes, Posh were in front and it was MADDISON again, collecting the ball from the right-hand side, taking a touch onto his favoured left-foot and unleashing a low shot past Parish and into the back of the net.

Posh were forced into a substitution on 37 minutes as Adebayo-Rowling was forced off with injury - Ricardo Almeida Santos his replacement.

Maddison and Gormley both saw shots blocked as Posh pressed for a third before the break. Gormley was cautioned on 42 minutes for a late challenge by the touchline.

Bonne fired wide on 49 minutes after creating some space for himself following a well directed throw-in.

Washington had the ball in the back of the net on 51 minutes after a lucky ricochet landed at his feet, but the assistant referee cut short the celebrations as he raised his flag.

The experienced Darren Ambrose fired well wide following a swift counter-attack by the visitors moments later.

Ben Alnwick was cautioned for handling outside of the box on the hour mark as he dashed from his goal and slid at the feet of the attacker. Referee Mr Haywood ignoring the pleas of the visitors and the supporters to issue a red.

Parish denied Maddison his hat-trick moments later with a decent stop before Colchester put together a sustained spell of pressure with the Posh defending becoming more frantic.

Dave Robertson made a change on 68 minutes with Jack Collison replacing Jermaine Anderson in midfield. Jon Taylor replaced Anderson on 78 minutes.

Gormley wasted a great chance to make the game safe on 87 minutes as he raced onto a Ntlhe through ball, but with team-mates either side of him, he fired wide of the far post.

Maddison fired a free-kick over while Alnwick was well placed to catch a curler from Ambrose as the game moved into five minutes of added time.

Posh: Alnwick, Ntlhe, Zakuani, Bostwick, Maddison, Washington, H. Anderson (sub Taylor 78min), J. Anderson (sub Collison 68min), Davey, Gormley, Adebayo-Rowling (sub Santos 37min). Unused subs: Henry, Brisley, Taylor, Vassell, Coulibaly.

Colchester: Parish, Briggs (sub Vincent-Young 45min), Edwards (sub Szmodics 78min), Wynter, Gilbey, Moncur (sub Sembie-Ferris 62min), Eastman, Bonne, Brindley, Ambrose. Unused subs: Lewington, Elokobi, Wright, Kent.

Half-time: Peterborough United 2-1 Colchester United
Full-time: Peterborough United 2-1 Colchester United
Attendance: 5,339 (378 Colchester fans)