Posh were undone by a poor first half as Darren Ferguson's men were beaten 2-1 by Bristol City at London Road.

Peterborough United suffered a 2-1 defeat to Bristol City at London Road as two goals in the first 15 minutes, which included some poor defending, left Darren Ferguson's men a mountain to climb and despite the visitors being reduced to 10-men, they couldn't force an equaliser. Posh produced a lot of chances in the second period, but Frank Fielding was in inspired form between the sticks for the Robins.

On six minutes, the visitors came close to the breakthrough as confusion at the back allowed Sam Baldock to nip in, but Mark Little, initially at fault, got back to clear off the line following a delicate chip from the former Milton Keynes Dons man.

The deadlock was broken on 10 minutes as a deep cross from Gillett was nodded across goal by Moloney into the path of BALDOCK who glanced the ball past Olejnik from close-range.

It was 2-0 to the visitors on 16 minutes and again it was BALDOCK and again it was down to terrible defending from the hosts allowing Gillett to get to the by-line and cross for the striker who had the simple task of heading home from six-yards.

Bristol City were reduced to 10-men on 18 minutes as El-Abd was shown a straight red card for an off the ball incident with Assombalonga. Bostwick fired the free-kick low and into the wall.

Ajose saw a shot blocked after Washington's knockdown on 25 minutes. On the stroke of half-time, more poor defending, this time from Bostwick allowed Baldock to nip in and square for Wagstaff, but his shot was saved by Olejnik.

On 44 minutes, Posh reduced the arrears as a corner from McCann was headed home by BOSTWICK at the near post to give Posh hope just before the break. Olejnik parried a late Emmanuel-Thomas free-kick with Rowe hacking the ball to safety as the referee brought an end to the first half.

Assombalonga went close just after the break and then Little sent an ambitious 30-yarder just wide of Fielding's post as Posh tried to up the tempo at the start of the second period.

McQuoid was then denied by Fielding after a skidding 25-yard shot while Bostwick also went close as the home faithful began to up the volume. McQuoid was again denied by a Fielding punch moments later before Little saw his cross go out of play.

Bostwick then fired wide of the upright after McCann's initial shot was blocked on 56 minutes. Washington fired over on the hour mark after a McCann set-piece was only half-cleared, the former Newport man was leaning back when he attempted to keep his effort on target.

Fielding dived to his left to smother an effort from Bostwick after he had burst into the box past two challenges as Posh continued to create opportunities in front of goal. A left-footed Rowe shot was then smothered by Fielding under pressure from Assombalonga on 71 minutes.

Joe Newell replaced Brisley on 79 minutes in the first substitution for Darren Ferguson's men. Ajose was denied superbly by Fielding on 86 minutes and then repeated the feat moments later to parry at his near post before a melee ensued as the ball ran loose. It was Moloney who hacked the ball behind for a corner.

Final Score: Posh 1-2 Bristol City

Posh: Olejnik, Brisley (sub Newell 79min), Nugent, Little, Rowe, McQuoid, McCann (sub Knight-Percival 88min), Bostwick, Ajose, Washington, Assombalonga. Unused subs: Day, Alcock, Anderson, Ntlhe, Payne.

Bristol City: Fielding; Osborne, El-Abd, Williams, Moloney, Wagstaff (sub Burns 85min), Gillett, W.Elliott, Cunningham, Baldock (sub Pack 90min), Emmanuel-Thomas (sub Bryan 70min). Unused subs: Richards, Wynter,   Pearson, Kelly.

Attendance: 4,352 (213 Bristol fans)