Peterborough United have secured their play-off spot with a 4-2 victory at Shrewsbury Town.

Peterborough United will be in the play-offs after a 4-2 victory over Shrewsbury Town at the Greenhous Meadow with Conor Washington grabbed a brace during a dominant first half display.

Goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik was called upon inside twenty seconds to make the first save of the afternoon, pushing an Aaron Wildig shot over the crossbar.

Kgosi Ntlhe fired wide from 25-yards after an intelligent layoff from Nicky Ajose moments later. The deadlock was broken on four minutes as a cross from the left was headed home at the far post by Jon TAYLOR who rose above Ntlhe to power his effort past Olejnik.

Assombalonga was denied by Weale before squaring for Washington six yards out, but he couldn't force the ball home and as the ball ran loose, Ajose saw a left-foot shot cleared off the line.

Posh drew level on 12 minutes as a cross from Isgrove was glanced in the direction of WASHINGTON who fired home past Weale who got a hand to the effort, but couldn't keep it out.

Taylor was denied by Olejnik while Bradshaw took a heavy touch as he tried to convert the rebound.

Posh made it 2-1 on 20 minutes as a superb pass from Rowe picked out WASHINGTON who clipped the ball past the advancing goalkeeper and into the back of the net for his second goal of the afternoon. Washington was clattered by the keeper in the process, but was soon on his feet.

On 27 minutes, Posh made it 3-1, Washington was denied by the crossbar, but on-loan Lloyd ISGROVE made the Shrews pay, firing home at the second attempt after his initial effort was parried by Weale. A first senior goal for the Southampton loanee.

Assombalonga was denied his 33rd of the campaign by a smart save by Weale before the same player headed over an Isgrove centre from the left.

The home side pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time as Tom BRADSHAW was afforded time and space in the box and he coolly converted from six-yards.

Shrewsbury made a double change at the break with Jermaine Grandison and Tom Eaves introduced.

Olejnik produced a stunning one-handed stop to deny substitute Eaves' glancing header from a Jacobson free-kick on 55 minutes.

Posh were awarded a spot-kick on 59 minutes as Washington was felled in the box by Winfield, but Assombalonga saw his penalty superbly saved by goalkeeper Weale.

On 62 minutes, an Ajose free kick was nodded back across goal by Ntlhe, but both Assombalonga and Rowe failed to force the ball over the line before the danger was cleared.

Ajose was denied by Weale at his near post on 64 minutes before Ntlhe headed over a corner by the same player. Summerfield fired wide of the near post after racing clear before he was replaced by Asa Hall in the final Shrews change.

Posh made a double change on 74 minutes with Isgrove and Washington replaced by Mendez-Laing and McQuoid.

Posh made it 4-2 on 90 minutes as two substitutes combined, Mendez-Laing picking out MCQUOID who coolly slotted the ball past Weale.

Final Score: Shrewsbury Town 2-4 Posh

Posh: Olejnik, Ntlhe, Baldwin, Little, Bostwick, Payne, Rowe, Isgrove (sub Mendez-Laing 73min), Ajose (sub McCann 88min), Washington (sub McQuoid 74min), Assombalonga. Unused subs: Day, Knight-Percival, Alcock, Newell.

Shrewsbury: Weale, Jacobson, Summerfield (sub Hall 66min), Winfield, Miller (sub Eaves 46min), Bradshaw, Taylor, Wildig, Parry (sub Grandison 46min), Goldson, Woods. Unused subs: Anyon, Iorfa,  Atajic, Mills.

Attendance: 5,619 (630 Posh fans)