Jonson Clarke-Harris celebrates against Portsmouth

Posh record back to back wins as Portsmouth are beaten 2-1 at the Weston Homes Stadium.

Peterborough United made it two wins from two as a first half brace from skipper Jonson Clarke-Harris helped Darren Ferguson’s men record a 2-1 victory over Portsmouth at the Weston Homes Stadium in front of just under 9,000 supporters.

After a relatively quiet start to proceedings, it was the visitors who had the first opportunity as a long throw from skipper Marlon Pack was allowed to reach the onrushing Louis Thompson, but he guided his effort wide of the target.

The deadlock was broken on 17 minutes, excellent wing play from Kwame Poku down the right and his cross was tapped home by skipper Jonson CLARKE-HARRIS from close-range. Hector Kyprianou was cautioned on the half hour mark for a foul before Colby Bishop just failed to get a touch on a teasing cross from Dale.

Posh were awarded a spot-kick on 42 minutes after Mason-Clark was upended in the box by Dale and CLARKE-HARRIS coolly found the bottom corner with the resulting penalty kick. Kyprianou saw a powerful left-footed effort repelled by Matt Macey three minutes after the re-start before Clarke-Harris was cautioned for a foul.

Mason-Clark then went on a superb run down the left and picked out on the onrushing Joe Ward, but his low effort was kept out by the legs of Macey. Mason-Clark then dinked a wonderful cross into the path of Jack Taylor, but on the stretch the midfielder couldn’t keep his header on target.

Taylor sliced a shot wide from 25-yards after patient build-up play from Clarke-Harris and Mason-Clark as the game approached the hour mark. Louis Thompson was booked for another foul on the impressive Mason-Clark before Portsmouth made a change as Reece Hackett was introduced.

Macey was in the right place to keep out a hooked volley from Kent on 64 minutes after good work from Ward down the right. Dane Scarlett was denied by Will Norris two minutes later after Kent misjudged an aerial duel.

Pack was cautioned for a foul on Kyprianou by referee Mr Madley as the second half reached the midway point. Darren Ferguson made his first change on 70 minutes as Harrison Burrows replaced Kwame Poku.  Burrows saw a goalbound volley superbly blocked by Raggett four minutes later.

Portsmouth had the ball in the back of the net on 75 minutes, but the assistant referee spotted a foul in the build-up and ruled the goal out.  Josh Knight replaced Kyprianou in midfield with 10 minutes to go.

Portsmouth pulled a goal back with four minutes to play as a Hackett cross struck Nathan Thompson and rebounded into the back of the net for an own goal. Six minutes of added time was indicated by the fourth official with Posh desperately trying to cling on.

Ward saw a cross-shot pushed aside by Macey at the other end before six nervous minutes of added time elapsed and Posh collected all three points.

Posh: Norris, Butler, Edwards, Kent, Taylor, Clarke-Harris, Mason-Clark (sub Ogbeta 88min), Poku (sub Burrows 70min), N. Thompson, Kyprianou (sub Knight 81min), Ward. Unused subs: Jones, Thompson, Randall, Blackmore.

Portsmouth: Macey, Swanson, Ogilivie, Pack, Tunnicliffe (sub White 85min), Dale (sub Jacobs 73min), Bishop, Scarlett (sub Pigott 85min), Raggett, L. Thompson (sub Hackett 57min), Towler. Unused subs: Hume,  Freeman, Oluwayemi.

Half-time: Peterborough United 2-0 Portsmouth
Full-time: Peterborough United 2-1 Portsmouth
Attendance: 8,919 (1,561 Portsmouth fans)
Referee: Bobby Madley