An exciting opportunity has arisen to work within the Academy as Head of Performance Support.
This is a full-time position and a crucial part of the Academy’s application for Category 2 status. The role will commence at the beginning of the 2021/22 season.
The Head of Performance Support will be responsible for ensuring consistency and alignment in delivery across the entire academy programme of Medicine, Sports Science, Nutrition and Psychology. The successful candidate will play a key role in the academy achieving its vision of becoming a leading Category 2 academy developing a minimum of 3 academy graduates per season.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and covering letter to Kieran.Scarff@theposh.com
The Successful Candidate will:
- Lead the contribution from performance support to the development of our Academy Players
- As part of the Academy Management Team (AMT), maintain and develop strong relationships with the Academy Manager, Head of Coaching and Lead Phase Coaches.
- Strategically lead and manage all functions within the performance support team (Sports Science, Strength and Conditioning, Medicine, Nutrition and Psychology).
- Provide leadership of performance support staff including direct line management performance support staff.
- Influence and collaborate with the Academy Manager and Head of Academy Coaching to drive alignment (and involvement) of performance interventions with the coaching programme.
- Ensure an accountable and responsive performance impact of practitioners work through facilitation of high-class performance planning and review.
- Ensure strong lines of communication to all relevant stakeholders relating to operational delivery and how it is helping support player development.
- Create and implement a strategy that supports the long-term development of our academy players.
- Strategically lead all research and working with key stakeholders, internal and external to maximise its impact.
- Reflect the professional codes of conduct and ensure that these are respected and adhered to in order to keep the players health and welfare at the centre of concern in all aspects of training and competition.
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet the requirements of the football club.
What we are looking for:
The Head of Academy Performance Support shall be either:
- A registered physiotherapist member of the Health and Care Professions Council;
- A registered medical practitioner licensed to practise by the General Medical Council (and shall comply with the General Medical Council’s requirements concerning annual appraisal, scope of practice, indemnity and revalidation of doctors) with a diploma in Sport and Exercise Medicine or equivalent or higher qualification; or
- The holder of at least a master’s degree in sports science (or other relevant discipline) from a recognised university and have or be working towards British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences and/or British Psychological Society accreditation; and
- If they are a registered physiotherapist member of the Health and Care Professions Council or a registered medical practitioner, they should also hold a current Football Association Advanced Resuscitation and Emergency Aid certificate, Advanced Trauma Medical Management in Football or an equivalent or higher qualification approved by the League; or
- If they are neither of the above, a current EFAiF or an equivalent or higher qualification approved by the League.
- Shall have recent and relevant professional experience in a sports performance environment.
- Experience of managing staff and the creating and driving of a high-performance culture that delivers results
- Experience of strategic planning and the delivery and monitoring of SMART objectives in a High-Performance environment.
- Extensive experience of working with high performance coaches in high performance environments to develop multidisciplinary periodised plans.
- Evidence of innovative and creative delivery and of the ability to inspire and support colleagues.
- Wide experience of the scientific methods of researching and developing monitoring and evaluation protocols in High Performance sport and their practical applications to training and competition.
- The ability to lead and manage a team of specialists and/or practitioners.
- A broad understanding of all aspects of technical performance solutions (coaching, science, medicine and technology).
- Ability to demonstrate management and leadership skills and evidence decision making and critical thinking.
- A comprehensive understanding of the medical and scientific support needs of high-performance players.
- Experienced budget manager
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent presentation and influencing skills
- Able to manage a high-pressure workload and those of colleagues and to work and thrive in the High-Performance environment.
- Strong strategic outlook, excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- A creative thinker with the tenacity and confidence to see things through to implementation and completion
- Proven ability to lead and work within a multi-disciplinary support team and conduct MDT meetings that optimise player development through quality discussion and coach-practitioner input into Individual Player Development Plans.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise workloads.
The closing date to apply for this position is Saturday 14th May at 12pm.