Shaquile Coulthirst netted twice as nervy Posh progress.

Peterborough United are into round two of the Emirates FA Cup after a nervy 2-1 win over Chesham United at the ABAX Stadium.

After a bright opening, it was the visitors who registered the first effort towards goal, Sam Youngs firing wide from 25-yards after Posh failed to clear a long throw into the box.

Wadkins tested McGee with a shot on the turn on 21 minutes before he found himself needing treatement after a challenge 30-yards from goal.

The deadlock was broken on 40 minutes and it was a stunning strike from Shaquile COULTHIRST, who took a touch and curled a superb effort into the top corner leaving keeper Jones with no chance.

Nichols saw a header cleared off the line moments later as Jones flapped at a ball in the box. Three minutes of added time was signalled by the fourth official, but that passed without incident.

Maddison was denied by Jones after his left-footed powerful free-kick was tipped over the bar on 49 minutes. Maddison floated a shot wide of the far upright as the game reached the hour mark.

Gwion Edwards replaced Da Silva Lopes on the hour mark as Grant McCann made his first change of the afternoon.

Maddison sliced wide when well placed after an intelligent low centre from Nichols as Posh squandered a good opportunity to make it 2-0.

Smith was a whisker away from scoring after another cut back from Nichols moments later, the full-back sweeping his effort wide from 10-yards.

Edwards saw a shot blocked on 66 minutes and then Smith rolled a left-foot shot wide of the target. Posh doubled the lead from the best move of the game, Maddison to the overlapping Smith, his low centre converted at the near post by COULTHIRST.

Jones produced a stunning stop to divert a fierce Edwards shot onto the bar before Lee Angol was introduced as a substitute for Nichols.

Coulthirst was denied a hat-trick by a superb stop from Jones who injured himself in the process of making the excellent stop. Chesham introduced the experienced Barry Hayles in a double subtitution on 77 minutes.

The visitors reduced the arrears on 79 minutes after a shocking back pass was intercepted by the lively BLAKE who rounded McGee and slotted into the empty net.

Jones produced a fine stop to tip a powerful Hughes shot over the bar moments from the re-start. Coulthirst flashed a shot wide after good work from Edwards down the left as the tie entered a nervy last few minutes.

Jones was called upon again on 88 minutes, pushing a free-kick from Taylor around the post.

Posh: McGee, Smith, Hughes, Almeida Santos, Tafazolli, Forrester, Maddison (sub Taylor 76min), Coulthirst, Da Silva Lopes (sub Edwards 60min), Nichols (sub Angol 70min), Bostwick. Unused subs: Tyler, Nabi, Chettle, Binnom-Williams.

Chesham: Jones, Crilley, Wilson (sub Little 78min), Mitchel-King, Purse, Martin, Pearce, Youngs (sub Hayles 78min), Wadkins, Roberts (sub Blake 67min), Taylor. Unused subs: Nolan, Hamilton-Forbes, McKenzie, Murray.

Half-time: Peterborough United 1-0 Chesham United
Full-time: Peterborough United 2-0 Chesham United
Attendance: 4,328 (661 Chesham fans)