Posh Secure Superb Away Victory At Addicks

Peterborough United produced one of their best displays of the season as goals from Ryan Tafazolli and Gwion Edwards secured a comfortable 2-0 victory over Charlton Athletic at the Valley.

The first chance of the game arrived on eight minutes as Taylor and Nichols combined to create an opportunity for Coulthirst at the near post, but he couldn't wrap his foot around the effort and fired well wide.

Botaka curled an effort wide of the target from the edge of the box at the other end after cutting inside onto his right-foot.

Smith fired over from distance after Edwards had seen a shot blocked after clevely shifting the ball onto his favoured right foot.

The deadlock was broken on 21 minutes as a superb free-kick from Taylor was met by TAFAZOLLI who powered home a header past the despairing efforts of goalkeeper Phillips.

Nichols was denied by Phillips after superb work rate from Coulthirst to end a swift Addicks counter attack.

Da Silva Lopes was a whisker away from making it 2-0 on 26 minutes after a glorious Posh move involving Forrester and Taylor. Forrester volleyed wide after a Taylor corner was only half cleared to the edge of the box.

Posh caught the hosts on the break on 42 minutes as Coulthirst and Taylor combined to create a first time shooting chance for Da Silva Lopes, but he couldn't replicate his effort against Notts County, keeper Phillips doing well to hold.

One minute of added time was signalled by the fourth official and Posh held on for a deserved half-time lead.

Nicky Ajose fired over the bar on the volley after a good set up from Magennis on 48 minutes as the hosts pressed.

Magennis clipped the outside of the post after racing clear on 50 minutes, Bostwick completely committed himself and allowed the Northern Ireland striker to nip the ball past him.

The home side hit the bar on 53 minutes as Lookman's effort took a deflection and looped over goalkeeper Luke McGee.

Grant McCann made a change just after the hour mark with Shaquile Coulthirst replaced by George Moncur.  On 66 minutes, Posh doubled their lead and what a goal it was too, made and scored by Gwion EDWARDS, who beat one, nutmegged another and then blasted past Phillips.

Charlton made a double change just before the 70 minute mark with Adam Chicksen and Joe Aribo introduced. Forrester volleyed wide on 75 minutes after Taylor's free-kick was only half cleared.

Ajose couldn't divert the ball goalwards as Posh struggled to clear a corner kick as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

Chicksen fired wide with his left-foot on 80 minutes after finding some space in behind Smith on this near side.

Brad Inman replaced the excellent Edwards on 86 minutes as McCann made another change. Taylor recieved a standing ovation as he was replaced by Almeida Santos on 89 minutes.

Charlton: Phillips, Konsa, Bauer, Teixeira, Fox (sub Hanlan 81min), Crofts (c), Ulvestad (sub Aribo 69min), Botaka (sub Chicksen 69min), Lookman, Magennis, Ajose. Unused subs: Mitov, Foley, Johnson, Jackson.

Posh: McGee, Smith, Hughes, Tafazolli, Bostwick, Forrester, Edwards (sub Inman 86min), Da Silva Lopes, Taylor (sub Almeida Santos 89min), Coulthirst (sub Moncur 63min), Nichols. Unused subs: Tyler, Binnom-Williams, Chettle, Oduwa.

Half-time: Charlton Athletic 0-1 Peterborough United
Full-time: Charlton Athletic 0-2 Peterborough United
Attendance: 10,193 (1,017 Posh fans)