Alnwick Secures Point For Posh

Peterborough United goalkeeper Ben Alnwick proved to be the standout brother at Vale Park as he saved one penalty and forced a second penalty to be missed following a pulsating game at Vale Park.

Michael Bostwick scored a spot-kick of his own as Posh earned a point, but boss Graham Westley was disappointed with aspects of his side's performance particularly in the first period as Vale took a goal lead into the interval.

It was Jak Alnwick who was the busier of the two goalkeepers in the early exchanges, first he made a routine stop to deny Jon Taylor and then he was extended fully to keep out a low strike from Lee Angol after a good slide-rule pass from Smith.

Angol then sent a dipping shot from distance just past the post although the Vale custodian was well aware of his angles and pulled his hands away from the strike.

Ben Alnwick made his first save of the contest on 17 minutes, denying Ikpeazu with his legs by the near post.

Washington fired wide of the target after displaying quick feet on the edge of the area as Posh continued to create decent openings.

The deadlock was broken on 38 minutes as ANDOH squeezed the ball home at the near post after a low centre from the right.

Ben Alnwick was called upon to beat away a fierce drive from long-range by former Stoke City defender Carl Dickinson as the first half moved into two minutes of added time.

Posh boss Graham Westley made a change at the break with Souleymane Coulibaly replacing Jermaine Anderson.

It was a lively start to the second half, firstly Posh had appeals for a penalty turned down for an alleged handball and then Ben Alnwick made a superb stop from Daniel and was then have adjudged to have hauled down Andoh in the box for a spot-kick.

After a dispute on who was going to take the penalty, Michael O'Connor assumed responsibility was denied by a superb Alnwick save.

On 56 minutes, Posh drew themselves level as Coulibaly was tripped in the box by Purkiss and BOSTWICK thumped home the spot-kick.

Alnwick produced a superb stop down by his near post to deny the lively Andoh on the hour mark as again Vale caused problems going forward.

Posh came close to turning the game on it's head after a lightening break with Taylor feeding Angol who was denied by the legs of Alnwick. Washington saw his rebound blocked and from the resulting set-piece, Bostwick saw his header blocked.

Posh were denied again moments later as Coulibaly's point blank header was somehow kept out by Alnwick.

Boss Westley made a change on 64 minutes with Harry Anderson replacing Conor Washington. Coulibaly sent a considered effort from 25-yards just wide of the far post as Posh came close.

Kyle Vassell replaced Angol moments later as Posh made a change in attack. Vale were given a second chance from the spot moments later as Zakuani felled Ikpeazu in the box. Foley, cocky as you like, stepped up and fired his penalty against angle of bar and post, the ball rebounding against Alnwick and behind for a corner.

After five minutes of added time, referee Richard Clark brought an end to a pulsating encounter.

Port Vale: J. Alnwick, Purkiss, Dickinson, Streete, Duffy, O'Connor (sub Lloyd 82min), Ikpeazu, Foley, Daniel (sub Dodds 71min), Moore (sub Birchall 65min), Andoh. Unused subs: Johnson, McGivern, Kelly, Leitch-Smith, Lloyd.

Posh: B. Alnwick, Smith, Elder, Almeida Santos, Zakuani, Forrester, Bostwick, Taylor, J. Anderson (sub Coulibaly 46min), Washington (sub H. Anderson 64min), Angol (sub Vassell 84min). Unused subs: Henry, Fox,  Da Silva Lopes, Collison.

Half-time: Port Vale 1-0 Peterborough United
Full-time: Port Vale 1-1 Peterborough United
Attendance: 4,864 (454 Posh fans)