Robins Rocking As Posh Beaten

Peterborough United suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Swindon Town at London Road as Darren Ferguson's men were undone by a goal in each half by Mark Cooper's men.

Andy Williams had the first effort on goal of the afternoon and his long range effort clipped the outside of the post.

Louis Thompson was next to try his luck, but his shot from distance went well wide of the target. Kyle Vassell saw a shot blocked and then he sliced the rebound wide of the target, while moments later Posh appealed in vain for a penalty as Newell appeared to be pushed in the box.

Posh had second appeals for a spot-kick turned down on 22 minutes as Newell was again pushed to the floor as he pushed the ball past Nathan Thompson.

Swindon goalkeeper Foderingham was at full-stretch to push a Mendez-Laing shot around the post moments later with Burgess glancing the header from the resulting corner kick wide of the target.

On 33 minutes, the visitors found the breakthrough as a low cross into the box was hooked into the far corner via the inside of the post by Andy WILLIAMS.

Alnwick produced a stunning stop to beat away a fierce Byrne effort before Obika headed over when unchallenged.

Bostwick saw a goal-bound volley blocked and then Posh were appealing for a penalty as Mendez-Laing's goal-bound shot appeared to strike an arm.

Moments after the re-start, Posh found themselves 2-0 down as free-kick was powered home past Alnwick from close-range by one-time Posh loanee Jonathan OBIKA.

Posh made an immediate change moments afterwards with Jermaine Anderson replacing Payne at the heart of midfield.

Ntlhe dragged a shot inches past the far post on 52 minutes after finding some space down the left hand side. Joe Newell saw a shot beaten away on 55 minutes before Ntlhe saw a shot blocked from the resulting set-piece.

Vassell headed Newell's free-kick over the top as the game approached the hour mark. A snap-shot from Vassell was well held by Foderingham seconds later.

Newell saw a shot deflected inches past the post by Jordan Turnbull as Posh tried to get a goal back to put some pressure on the visitors. Alnwick beat away a fierce Byrne shot at the other end.

Mclean found the side-netting with a shot after a clever pass from Smith on 79 minutes. Stephens then sent a shot inches past the post for Town as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

Luke James saw a header cleared away from danger from the goal-line on 81 minutes. Seconds later and Washington struck the bar from close-range after a good run and cut back from Newell at the by-line.

Posh did get themselves on the score-sheet deep into stoppage time as NEWELL rifled a low left-foot shot into the bottom corner after a good header down by Mclean.

Full-time: Posh 1-2 Swindon Town

Posh: Alnwick, Smith, Santos, Burgess, Ntlhe, Bostwick, Payne (sub Anderson 50min), Newell, Mendez-Laing (sub James 72min), Mclean, Vassell (sub Washington 71min). Unused subs: Henry, Oztumer, McCann, Zakuani.

Swindon: Foderingham, Branco, Thompson N, Turnbull, Byrne, Stephens, Gladwin (sub Luongo 58min), Thompson L (sub Kasim 66min), Toffolo (sub Bell 86min), Williams, Obika. Unused subs: Belford, Reeves, Barker, Smith.

Attendance: 7,182 (476 Swindon fans)