Jermaine Anderson scored his first senior goal as Posh ground out a 3-1 win at Colchester United.

Darren Ferguson's men were not at their fluent best, but claimed a 3-1 victory at Colchester United with young midfielder Jermaine Anderson notching his first professional goal and Conor Washington ending his short goal drought.

Peterborough United were awarded a penalty kick inside the opening few minutes as Kyle Vassell's free-kick struck the arm of Clohessy. Conor Washington stepped up to take the penalty, but his low effort was comfortably saved by goalkeeper Walker with Okuonghae clearing the rebound from Ferdinand off the line.

Washington curled over the bar from 20-yards after good work from Kane Ferdinand down the right as Posh continued to create chances in front of goal.

Goalkeeper Alnwick produced a fine double stop to deny Massey and then former Posh loanee Ben Gordon as the U's roared to life on the quarter hour mark.

Ibehre fired wide after holding off the attentions of Jermaine Anderson on 18 minutes. The deadlock was finally broken on 21 minutes as a superb pass from Burgess picked out WASHINGTON who took a touch before coolly slotting the ball past Walker.

It was 2-0 to Posh on 26 minutes as an impressive burst into the box by Joe Newell was ended by a last ditch tackle, but the ball rolled kindly across the six-yard box and NTLHE slotted home past Walker at the back post.

Alnwick tipped over a fierce Sears drive from distance before Ibehre glanced a header from the resulting corner kick over the bar. Posh were forced into a change just after the half hour mark with Shaun Brisley taking a nasty whack from his own team-mate Santos. He was replaced by Gabriel Zakuani.

Walker tipped over a looping header from Vassell on 41 minutes after a glorious crossfield pass by Burgess before Anderson went into the book for kicking the ball away.

On 52 minutes, Vassell controlled a fierce pass from Ferdinand and tricked his way past the defender, but his powerful shot was well saved by Walker.

Colchester were inches away from halving the deficit on 54 minutes as Gilbey let fly from distance, his thunderous effort crashing against the underside of the crossbar before bouncing to Massey who couldn't keep his header down.

Substitute Vose cut inside from the right and curled a left-footed shot just over the bar on the hour mark. Former West Ham United man Sears screwed a shot wide of the target from 10-yards after excellent work from substitute Watt.

The U's reduced the arrears on 64 minutes as Watt crossed for SEARS and this time the striker made no mistake, prodding home from close-range past Alnwick.

With Posh rocking, Darren Ferguson made a double change with Michael Smith and Marcus Maddison introduced. Posh got the third goal against the run of play on 77 minutes as a low cross from Washington was converted from close range by Jermaine ANDERSON for his first senior goal.

Posh were reduced to 10-men on 80 minutes as Ntlhe was shown a second yellow card for a needless foul by the touchline, leaving Posh with a nervy last few moments.

Alnwick did well to smother a Sears effort from distance on 87 minutes while at the other end, Payne fired wide from 30-yards.

Deep into stoppage time, Alnwick did well to smother a Sears free kick before the referee brought an end to proceedings.

Final Score: Colchester United 1-3 Posh

Colchester United: Walker, Clohessy, Okuonghae, Eastman, Gordon, Gilbey, Moncur, Szmodics (sub Vose 56min), Sears, Ibehre (sub Holman 82min), Massey (sub Watt 56min). Unused subs: Lewington, Kent, David Wright, Bean.

Posh: Alnwick, Ntlhe, Brisley (sub Zakuani 31min), Santos (sub Smith 67min), Burgess, Ferdinand (sub Maddison 67min), Payne, Anderson, Newell, Vassell, Washington. Unused subs: Walker, Conlon, McCann, McEvoy.

Attendance: 4,014 (964 Posh fans)