Posh under 18s through to second round of FA Youth Cup after titanic effort with 10-men at Meadow Lane.

Posh under 18s through to second round of FA Youth Cup after titanic effort with 10-men at Meadow Lane.

Posh settled quickly into the tie and came close to the breakthrough inside five minutes as a Tom Conlon free-kick was deflected just past the near post.

Tyler Guy headed wide from a deep set-piece for the Magpies on 20 minutes. Charlie Coulson fired over at the other end after Conlon had picked the diminutive midfield man out 25-yards from goal.

Tye Phillips was next to try his luck for Posh, but after a clever turn, he fired over from 30-yards. Conlon fired wide with his right-foot on the half hour mark after his initial cross was only half-cleared.

The influential Conlon curled a free-kick into the side-netting on 35 minutes as Posh continued to create opportunities without testing goalkeeper Andrews.

O'Reilly made his first save of the evening on 51 minutes, denying Lartey Sapong's low drive from the edge of the area. Coulson was denied by Andrews on 58 minutes after a speculative volley from distance.

Regan Carthey fired wide with a right-footed volley after Andrews' weak punch as Posh began to step it up a gear in the search for the opening goal.

Posh were reduced to 10-men on 67 minutes as Burgess was shown a straight red card for a last-man tackle on substitute Kenlock. Bange fired the resulting free-kick wide of the target.

Gavin Strachan introduced Tariq Moore-Azille as a replacement for Phillips in the light of the red card with Moore slotting in at centre back.

Posh introduced Jack Friend for Charlie Coulson on 80 minutes as extra time began to loom at Meadow Lane. O'Reilly denied Kelleher on 84 minutes while a Conlon free-kick eluded everyone at the far post.

Jermaine Anderson was denied by Andrews after excellent hold up play from Friend five minutes into added time.

On 99 minutes, Posh got their noses in front and what a goal it was. Goalkeeper Andrews raced from his goal to deny substitute Edwards, but the ball ran loose and from fully 40-yards, Irishman Robert DUGGAN struck a sublime effort into the empty net to give the 10-men the lead.

Matt Carter produced a superb last-ditch tackle to deny substitute Kenlock on 110 minutes. McGowan was presented with a glorious headed opportunity moments later, but he somehow planted his effort wide of the target.

With three minutes remaining, Notts County broke Posh hearts as substitute FYFE ran at the tiring Posh defence and unleashed a fierce drive, which crashed into the back off the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Conlon curled two free-kicks over the bar as we entered the last few seconds of proceedings. In the last minute, however, Posh got their just rewards for a titanic effort as a Conlon free-kick was glanced home by substitute EDWARDS to send the fans and bench wild.

Final Score AET: Notts County 1-2 Posh

Notts County: Andrews, Richards, Guy, Sapong (sub Fyfe 117min), McGowan, Geldenhuys (sub Palmer 99min), Hodge, Kelleher, Bange, Dwyer (sub Kenlock 57min), Golding. Unused subs: Myers, Symons.

Posh: O'Reilly, Burgess, Carter, Conlon, Ward, Marshall, Coulson (sub Friend 80min), Anderson, Phillips (sub Moore-Azille 69min), Carthey (sub Edwards 74min), Duggan. Unused subs: Henry, Luto.