Posh defeated by Boston United at the Jakeman's Stadium

A youthful Peterborough United side were beaten 3-1 by Blue Square North side Boston United at the Jakeman's Stadium with Levi Wright scoring the goal for Posh. 

Goalkeeper Joe Day made a fine early stop to deny Spencer Weir-Daley and the former Nottingham Forest front man glanced a header over the upright on the quarter hour mark as Boston United made the most of the early running. 

Day was well placed to deny a stinging Weir-Daley effort on 21 minutes before the game was halted temporarily due to an injury to Charlie Coulson, but he was soon back on his feet after treatment. At the other end, the young trialist on show tested Haystead with his left-foot, but the Pilgrims goalkeeper was equal to the shot. 

Day was having an excellent first half and he raced from his line to deny Weir-Daley again on 27 minutes, this time making an instinctive stop with his legs. Coulson, who had earlier received treatment, was replaced by Tom Wood just before the half hour.

Ajose was denied by Haystead at the second attempt on 37 minutes after some good close control by the former Manchester United front man. The home side made the breakthrough less than 60 seconds later as a cross from the right was headed past Day from close-range by the prolific Marc NEWSHAM.

Newsham came close to a second goal on the stroke of half-time after tricking his way past Butt, but Day produced his best save of the evening to prevent the striker from finding the back of the net. Ajose was left frustrated moments later as Haystead made a fine stop to prevent a Posh equaliser.  

Posh levelled the scores just after the break as Levi WRIGHT rounded goalkeeper Haystead and slotted the ball into the back of the net. Charlie Butt had to be alert to clear off the line moments later as Newsham scuffed the ball goal-wards as Boston came close to an instant reply.

Nathan Stanfield looped a header against the crossbar on the hour mark before Butt cleared and the defender was in the right place to clear the ball from the line again as Fairclough scuffed the ball goalwards. 

Ajose was denied by Haystead at the near post before Boston got their noses back in front as substitute Ben FAIRCLOUGH beat Griffiths for pace and then rifled a powerful shot past Day and into the top corner. 

The Pilgrims made it 3-1 on 72 minutes as a corner from the left was met by the head of Nathan STAINFIELD whose downward header gave Day no chance. Dyer-Stewart fired wide late on as the Pilgrims came close to a fourth. 

Boston United: Haystead, Marshall (sub Silk), Jelleyman (sub Field), Milnes, Miller, Stainfield, Stokes (sub Fairclough), Ross, Newsham (sub Dyer-Stewart), Weir-Daley (sub Jones), Smith. (sub French) Unused subs: Reed, Munn, Sturman. 

Posh: Day, Butt, Griffiths, Anderson, Sage, Grant, Lawlor, Trialist (sub Carter), Ajose, Coulson (sub Wood 29min), Wright. Unused subs: Sparrow, Carthy, Hendry, O'Reilly. 

Att: 366