Leicester City condemned Posh to an opening day defeat at the King Power Stadium.

Promotion favourites Leicester City condemned Peterborough United to a 2-0 defeat on the opening day of the npower Championship campaign, but there were positives to take from the performance against one of the division's big spenders. 

It was the Lee Tomlin on his return to the King Power Stadium that had the first effort of the game, but his low shot was deflected behind for a corner kick. At the other end, a header from Ritchie De Laet went wide of the target following a clipped free-kick by Dyer. 

Ben Marshall became the first player to be cautioned for a late tackle on Michael Bostwick as both sides took the opportunity to take some fluid on board with the temperatures in the high 20s at the King Power Stadium. 

Paul Taylor followed Marshall into the book for a late tackle on James on the half hour mark. On 35 minutes, Olejnik made his first save and what a save it was, reacting brilliantly to deny his own team-mate Bostwick, who had got back to intercept a low cross from Vardy. 

Moments later and Jermaine Beckford was inches away from breaking the deadlock, but his header went wide of Olejnik's right-hand post. 

At the beginning of the second half, Posh came close to the opener as Paul Taylor cut inside from the left and unleashed a powerful drive, which Schmeichel parried away from danger. 

However, on 50 minutes, the Foxes got themselves in front as a swirling corner kick from Ben Marshall was powerfully headed home by Wes MORGAN who towered above his markers to find the back of the net via the underside of the crossbar. 

Vardy then headed a Marshall cross wide of the upright before Dyer was just inches away from converting a low cross as the Foxes sensed they could kill this game off. Andy King replaced Matty James on 55 minutes for Nigel Pearson's men. 

Emile Sinclair was introduced as a substitute on 65 minutes, with Newell the man making way. Substitute Sinclair had a half chance on 72 minutes, but the bounce of the ball wasn't kind and he couldn't keep the effort down. 

On 73 minutes, Olejnik expertly tipped over a volley from Vardy after a good flick-on by Jermaine Beckford, who was replaced moments later by David Nugent. It was game over on 74 minutes as substitute Andy KING fired home into the top corner from the edge of the area after a fortunate run of the ball. 

Emile Sinclair's pace was causing problems and he got in behind the back four again on 76 minutes, but he fired straight at Schmeichel. Sinclair then saw a deflected effort clawed to safety by the Leicester shot-stopper. 

A fine pass from McCann found Tomlin on 86 minutes, but his shot on the stretch was smothered by Schmeichel. 

Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet, Konchesky, Drinkwater, Morgan, Marshall, Vardy, Dyer (sub Knockeart 66min), James (sub King 55min), Beckford (sub Nugent 73min), Moore. Unused subs: Danns, Logan, Waghorn, Schlupp.  

Posh: Olejnik, Alcock (sub Little 79min), Brisley, Zakuani, Bostwick, Tomlin, Boyd, Newell (sub Sinclair 65min), Frecklington (sub McCann 74min), Nthle, Taylor. Unused subs: Swanson, Day, Knight-Percival, Clarke-Harris.  

Att: 23,863 (1,868)

Referee: Craig Pawson